Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Crying it out...

Never thought I'd do it to one of my precious angels, but after last night, and Nick thinking he was staying up to party tonight, it had to be done (according to Mike). He just stopped crying and I'm assuming is sleeping. I am waiting until I can go in there to cover him up safely, without waking him up.

I have to say, it was horrible. I cant stand to hear my kids upset, but this was different. He was crying, for me, or someone to save him, and no one came. He cried so much for someone to save him, it wore him out. His last thought before falling asleep, was that I didn't come. Daddy didnt come. He was alone. Upset, and no one made it better. It was all I could do not to get him. I didn't want to ruin it in the middle, but now I wish I would have just gotten him in the beginning like I wanted to. He is an awful sleeper. I wish we would have learned our lesson after the biggens, and put him to sleep awake when he was a baby. Then this never would have had to happen.

I feel so mean. I hope he doesn't remember this in the morning. :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a cry-it-out parent. Im guilty! I dont let my kids cry for hours or anything but they are allowed to cry. Crying isnt painful and it does teach them to rely on themselves to put themselves to sleep. They wont hold it against you. :)

Sara said...

Meg, we never did this with the biggens, and I really never wanted to do it with Nick. Thankfully, he only cried for, tops, 10 mins. But when I went in to cover him, you could tell he collapsed in a heap of sadness, and I cried until Mike let me bring him into bed with us. (he never even woke up, so it was pointless, but I at least got to hug him) I think the ferber method will be what I'll use. Does it make the baby cry longer, where you're going in to check? I'm envisioning him calming down, me going in to check, and him starting back again, kwim?

Maria said...

AWW! Hugs! We had to do CIO with Alexa when she was little. It was one of the hardest things we ever did. But, she didn't remember in the morning. :) It worked for us with in a week or so. The first night was hell, she screamed for God knows how long. It got better pretty quick.